The Shepherd's Hut
- Sleeps 4 (max 4 adults, 5 children)
- Cooking facilities
- Beds Provided
- Pet Friendly
- Bed Linen Not Included
- Featuring French windows and an ingenious dining area-cum-comfy single bed conversion
- One of three shepherds' huts occupying a peaceful pocket of the spacious site
- Situated on the edge of the Norfolk Broads National Park, with easy access by bike or foot
The Owner Says
- Stay for one night, or two weeks, the choice is all yours!
- Fully equipped kitchen, including pots, pans, crockery and cutlery
- Braziers for your campfire, cooking, with plenty of wood available to purchase
- Table and chairs for star gazing and barbeque duty for outside the pod
- All you will need to bring is your own bedding, including pillows, duvet/sleeping bags, towels and a sense of adventure. Mattresses are provided.
- Peace and quiet
- Toilets and showers, free to use, with hot water andno annoying push-button taps
- Outdoor washing up sinks
- Rubbish bins for recycling and general waste
- Numerous cycle and footpaths
- Great pubs within walking distance
Features & Facilities
4 showers, 4 toilets, 2 wash up sinks, water taps, recycling bins and a freezer for ice-packs. Campfires are permitted in the firepits provided, using our locally sourced firewood that is available to buy onsite.
Walk the few hundred metres to Hickling Broad, the largest of the Norfolk Broads and a designated National Nature Reserve. Board walks and footpaths allow some access (including routes to bird-hides) but for the best of it go exploring by boat – canoes and dinghies are available to hire from Whispering Reeds Boats (01692 598314). You can also do full sailing lessons and courses with the Hickling Broad Sailing Club. If you want someone else to do all the hard work for you, take one of Norfolk Wildlife Trust’s boat tours. The timetable is available here. Away from the broads, it's around 4 miles to the coast. Overstrand beach is to the north and huge Winterton Dunes National Nature Reserve is just to the south. The nearest beach is Sea Palling – 3.5 miles away – and is an excellent dog-friendly, vast sandy spot. Waxham Beach is four miles from the campsite and is one of the few beaches that not many people know about, unless you're a local or a regular visitor.
Food & Drink
Onsite they have 'The Hickling hut' which offers fresh local produce including meats, pastries, and cakes fresh-baked every day by award-winning Norwich bakery Pye Bakers. They also have an impressive all singing, all dancing coffee machine.
The Hickling Cross Roads bus stop is ¼ mile away, with services running to and from Norwich.