Kestrel Safari Lodge
- A spacious safari lodge with its own bathroom, separate bedrooms and living area
- Outside space includes a front deck, hammock, BBQ area and hot tub
- One of six safari tents on a working farm with farm shop onsite
The Owner Says
Kestrel Safari Lodge comfortably sleeps up to 6 people making it a great glamping option to gather with friends and family. It is in an enclosed field with three other lodges (Hawk and Kestrel). Buzzard is nearest the shop, play area and wood store. The tents are about 20 metres apart giving them an element of privacy but they're still close enough if you want to socialise or book the site as a group with other families. (However please note during the Rule of 6 we cannot host groups).
There is a king bed in one room, two singles in the twin room, and a double cabin bed inside a quirky cupboard which children love.
The beds are made up for your arrival with duvets and blankets. There is a spacious en-suite shower and wash room with flushing loo at the back of the lodge, hot water is provided by a wood fuelled water heater which also warms the bathroom space. Towels and bathmats are provided.
The kitchen is well equipped with everything you need to make delicious meals on the wood stove or prepare a barbecue. There's an electric mini fridge/freezer, LED lighting, large wood stove to cook on – a bit like an Aga, an electrical hob plus an electrical socket for charging a phone or laptop. There are also comfy sofas and a dining table for 6 inside the lodge. Outside is a spacious deck with rattan furniture and gorgeous views of the surrounding hills. The deck is fenced and gated. Below the lodge is a wood fired hot tub (optional extra), a firepit/barbecue, hammock and picnic table.
- The private wood fired hot tub is not included in the rent, it is an optional extra and can be selected on the booking form.
- A maximum of 4 adults may stay in this lodge. We are not hosting larger groups at the moment due to Covid 19.
- Please note we are a quiet and rural place perfect for couples and families but not suitable for noisy gatherings. We operate a strict noise curfew at 10pm. Please make sure you have read our T&C.
- No smoking or vaping in the lodge or around the hot tub please.
- There are two playgrounds within the glamping fields. We run farm tours through the glamping season for interested guests.
- A generous supply of firewood is included in the lodge hire, more can be purchased from us if you need it. We don't provide a supply for the fire pit., charcoal is available in our shop.
- There is parking for two cars in a designated parking space.
- A single well behaved dog may stay in this lodge for a small extra fee, please make sure you have included your dog on the booking form, we will ask you the breed in our booking confirmation email, please make sure you have included your dog on the booking form. Please read our dog rules in our T&C
Features & Facilities
All tents, the cabin and the cottage provides self-contained accommodation with a private shower room and flushing toilet, a log burning stove, made-up beds, fully-equipped kitchen and more. Outside each is a barbecue, fire pit and a hot tub (available at an extra charge). There’s a licensed on-site shop which sells produce from the farm, home-cooked meals and other local items. There are two children’s play areas as well as table tennis, badminton and football nets and there are farm tours where you can meet the animals of Middle Stone Farm with a tractor ride at the end.
It's three miles to Exmoor National Park (01398 323665), home to some of the finest walking and scenery in the country, with Tarr Steps a particularly good route for families. Wimbleball Lake is another popular destination with walking and cycling routes around the water and watersports available on it (01398 371460). A little further north and you end up at the seaside, overlooking the Bristol Channel. Kilve beach, an area of Special Scientific Interest, is a top spot to go searching for fossils, while the sandy beach at Blue Anchor Bay is also popular – backed by the Driftwood Cafe serving excellent fish and chips. Within the national park, Porlock Weir, Lynton and the Lorna Doone Valley are also particularly stunning. There are good National Trust properties within a 30-minute drive too including Dunster Castle and Watermill, Coleridge Cottage and the vast Holnicote Estate.
Food & Drink
You can pre-order homemade meals, breakfast hampers and meat from the farm (all year) or visit the licensed on-site farm shop for local goodies including produce from the farm, homemade meals and local beers, cider and wine. Catherine and Patrick will likely suggest the best places to eat out but some consistently good local-ish recommendations include The White Post Cafe (01823 400322) seven miles away in Langford Budville and The Lost Kitchen (01884 242427), 20 miles away. There are also lots of lovely independent eateries in Porlock Weir. The closest shops to site are in Wivelscombe, four miles away and the nearest pub is The Bear Inn, a three-and-a-half-mile drive away; it’s not suitable to walk.
You don't need to go on safari to stay in a safari tent these days. But with alpacas, goats and rare breed pigs and sheep, you can make a very British safari of your own at Middle Stone Farm. Binoculars aren't even required.
Site ReviewsAdd Your Review
Be the first to leave a review!
A rare campsite where putting the postcode in your Sat Nav actually works! It will bring you all the way and take the quickest route. If you don't have one, then, from Taunton, take the B3227 to Wiveliscombe. In Wiveliscombe take the B3188 which will take you through the village of Ford and up the hill to Pitsford Hill and past the cricket club. ¼ mile from Pitsford Hill take the lane marked Brompton Ralph on the left, Middle Stone Farm is the first driveway on the left.
A direct train from London Paddington (0845 748 4950) to Taunton (0845 748 4950) takes 1hr 45 minutes if you're on the fast train. The glamping site is still a 30 minute drive from Taunton train station though and there is no public transport to Brompton Ralph. You need a car to make the most of your visit!